Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Someone gave me a female, all black ,long hair cat. She is angry.?

She hisses all the time. She bites but not real hard. She will let me hold her and sometimes she comes out and sits with me but hisses and seems pissed off. Anyone know why or what I can do to make the little creature feel at home. She is about a year old.Someone gave me a female, all black ,long hair cat. She is angry.?
Be patient and take it slow, make her feel safe, as though she has nothing to fear, mabey persuade her to calm down with a few tastey treats.She is probably just scared and nervous, not used to her new home.Someone gave me a female, all black ,long hair cat. She is angry.?
Wildcat is 100% right. I might add that she would not sit by you at all if she didn't like you or didn't WANT to develop a bond of trust. The fact she doesnt' bite hard is another sign that it's a warning, not intended to hurt.


I think she just hisses and bites because she doesn't know how far she can trust you yet and wants to seem ferocious so you won't try to do anything to her that is harmful or unpleasant. (She's trying to establish boundaries.) She will get over it in time. It's kind of like her saying, ';Watch it there buddy, I could do you some serious damage IF I wanted to, and don't you forget it!'; (It's also the hallmark of a very very sweet natured cat-she's giving you the benefit of the doubt, but is being cautious.)





When she hisses, stop touching her and pretty much just ignore her. Don't look at her at all. She'll think you aren't aware she's there which will allow her to get up close and see that whatever caused her to feel threatened was a false alarm.





Treats are good as are toys..like those feathers on a wand. It is irresistable to a cat and it is also far enough AWAY from you that she can let go and attack it and really have fun. Over time, while playing she'll get closer without realizing it because she's associating you with something FUN in her life.





And praise her a LOT.


Soothing tones also mean a lot to animals. Even if she won't come near you, she'll know her name and know you are saying something good about her or are happy with her.





If I knew you, I'd bet you a lunch that a year from now, you will not know how you ever got along before her.


Time, love, patience. It is soooooo worth it.


Black cats are the most wonderful creatures on earth. I


(Kind of biased here.)
She is just scared. How long have you had her? Her hissing and biting is just her way of defending herself. You said she doesn't bite real hard so she is letting you know that she is scared.





To make her feel at home: give her a safe place to hide (like under the bed or in a box in a corner); and make sure her litter box, food and water are not in high traffic areas. Once she gets used to the new smells and noises and is spayed (?) she will calm down greatly.
She's probably frustrated with having a new owner. She isn't used to you yet. Just give her some time, give her treats occasionally, give her attention, and do whatever you can to show that you love her. If she is still angry, there may be something wrong with her health, but I doubt it. I hope I helped, good luck and farewell.
my cat des that too


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090216122843AAvXUAe

No comments:

Post a Comment